Chowders always bring to mind a picture of a cozy, kicked-back, winter-time family meal; cuddled up around a roaring fireplace with plenty of warm food, good cheer and loving friends.
This one is a Sunday night family favorite – easy on the cook (and the cook’s pocketbook), yet sure to bring raves from the hubby and kids. Enjoy!
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup peeled and diced potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- Stir chicken broth, carrots, chicken bouillon, bay leaves, sea salt, pepper, thyme, marjoram, and garlic powder together in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 10 minutes. Add potatoes and onion; cook for 10 minutes more. Add celery; cook until all vegetables are fork tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and whisk flour into butter until smooth. Return saucepan to medium heat; gradually add milk to butter mixture, whisking constantly, and cook until mixture thickens, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Stir milk mixture into vegetable mixture; add corn, Cheddar cheese, and ham, reduce heat to low, and simmer until ham is heated through and cheese melts, 10 to 15 minutes.